Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Hike to Genalguacil

    December 31, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Genalguacil, with its astonishing urban structure inherited from the Muslims who were at the origin of the village, is arranged in the form of a staircase on the steep terrain that has hosted it for hundreds of years, like a white brushstroke on this green panorama of chestnuts, holm oaks and cork oaks.

    The parish church of San Pedro de Verona and its characteristic octagonal tower dominate this complex with deep Muslim roots.

    History
    Although its origin is undoubtedly Arab, archaeological remains dating back to prehistoric times have been discovered in its municipal territory.
    Its name comes from the Arabic Gema-Al Wacir, which means "the gardens of the vizier".

    Medina Conde, in her "Historical Conversations of Malaga", evokes the existence of gold, silver and copper mines in the past. However, there are still some remains of the exploitation of these minerals at the site known as Los Morteretes.
    Following the conquest by the Catholic Monarchs, its population certainly remained in the village until the time of its participation in the Morisco uprising in the middle of the sixteenth century; According to the chronicles of the time, Don Alonso de Aguilar, a Castilian nobleman, was killed during these clashes by the Morisco leader Feri de Benestepar. The year 1570 marked the definitive expulsion of the Moriscos and the territory was repopulated by native Christians from Extremadura and other Andalusian regions.
    Later, Genaguacil was ceded as a fief to the Duke of Arcos and belonged to this duchy until the abolition of these territorial privileges.
    Read more