Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Hike to Algotacin

    January 5 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    Algatocín, located on the road that connects Ronda to the Campo de Gibraltar, has always captured the attention of the traveller: its particular urban structure, inherited from the Berber peoples who founded the village, has a staggered physiognomy that adapts to the slopes of the land, which creates an image of white volumes against a green background of chestnuts, holm oaks and cork oaks.

    The Parish Church of Nuestra Señora del Rosario, as an obvious mark of identity, rises above the white village, crowned by a brilliant cap of blue mosaics.

    The historical antecedents found in the municipality of Algatocín date back to the time of Roman rule: near the village, at a site called Cerrogordo, archaeological remains belonging to this era have been discovered.
    However, the origin of this village is related to the Arab presence in this territory. Its name seems to come from the Berber tribe of the Benu-Atus: Al-Atuiyin, although legend has it that its origin is linked to the daughter of the second Muslim king of Ronda, Algotisa, who chose this place to build her palace.
    Read more