Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 79

    Castillo Colomares

    March 1 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Castillo de Colomares is a monument, in the form of a castle, dedicated to the life and adventures of Christopher Columbus. It was built near Benalmádena in Spain, between 1987 and 1994.[2] Covering an area of 1,500 meters, it is the largest monument in the world to the explorer, but also contains the smallest church in the world, covering an area of just 1.96 square meters. In 1987, Dr. D. Esteban Martín Martín began this singular work in an improvised way and with the help of two masons he created Colomares in seven years of artisanal work using brick, stone and cement. Thanks to his knowledge of art, history and architecture, Dr. Martín was able to mold this work at his whim, turning it into a "unicum" due to the stony way of narrating the Discovery of America.

    Benalmádena stupa

    The Benalmádena stupa was designed to be the largest Buddhist stupa in the western world. The story behind the stupa goes back to 1990 when a Buddhist master came to Spain to give talks to the faithful in Vélez-Málaga. In Vélez, there is a Buddhist meditation centre.

    Four years later, Lopon Tsechu Rinpoche decided to return to Spain and build a stupa in Vélez Málaga, where he had given his talks. His idea was to give the area a monument that would symbolize peace and prosperity for Spain.
    Read more