Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Holocaust Museum and Dinner

    July 3, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    To get in, you have to reserve times tickets and for good reason. The Holocaust Museum was incredibly busy. We lined up and took the elevator up to the top floor where the exhibit began. I’m not sure how to describe it. The museum was very comprehensive and gave a thorough picture of Hitler’s rise to power and the “final solution.” I didn’t take any pictures because it seemed like the last thing you should be doing, and I was brought to tears many times in the two hours we spent in the exhibit. There were cobblestones from the Warsaw ghetto, a cattle car, replica barracks, and so many stories. The pile of shoes was heartbreaking, but so were the pictures of people whose towns had been wiped out when they were all exterminated. It’s probably something I can’t describe, but everyone should go and witness.

    ...

    Heavy hearted, we left at closing time and walked towards our dinner reservation. A little early, we popped into Pret a Manger for a quick drink and cool down, and then carried on to China Chilcano, which is a Jose Andres restaurant.

    We were lucky to have a reservation because this place was packed! The concept is Asian and Peruvian, and we picked this day to try it out because they have half priced dim sum on Tuesdays! We had pork dumplings, shrimp dumplings, cilantro/veggie dumplings, pork wontons, and then two Peruvian dishes. One was a fish soup with fish collar, mushrooms, and rice, and the other was a chicken stew with cheese, pecans, and a rich chicken in sauce with rice. Brad and I sipped on Chilcanos which were basically a lighter version of the pisco sour. Everything was delicious and we left very satisfied!

    We walked back to the metro which took us back home. However, we had to make a pit stop at the Continental Beer Gardens for a quick pint. Luckily, there was a very cute labradoodle for Evan to chum around with while we drank our pints!

    Another busy day in DC complete!
    Read more