Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    The Liberty Bell Still Has a Crack

    July 6, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    We began our day by doing our laundry and then walked to Independence Hall to see it and the Liberty Bell. There was a fairly long line to get in to see the Bell, but it moved quickly. Before you got to the Bell, there was an exhibit about its history. It was actually really interesting to see all the groups who had used the Bell as a symbol of liberty - the women’s suffrage movement, the civil rights movement, and the LGBTQ equality movement to name a few.

    Then we got to actually see the Bell! It sounds not that exciting, but it was pretty cool to see it up close and to see the famous crack in the Bell. It was a bit smaller than I had imagined, but had a presence nonetheless.

    By this time, it had started to pour, so we threw on our rain coats and made a mad dash for the visitor center across the street. We were soaked! We spent a bit of time in the gift shop and then took pictures with Ben Franklin, the Greetings from Philadelphia sign, and the mascot from the Phillies (Phillie Phanatic). We also looked at options for the afternoon.

    Before we knew it, we had to meet our Philly Cheesesteak Tour, so we went outside where the rain had subsided and met Nina, our guide.
    Read more