Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    The Bull Ring in Seville

    July 10, 2018 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 21 °C

    Parts of Spain have banned bullfights, but not Seville. They continue to occur in the famous Seville bullring known as Plaza de Toros. Sam and I went on a memorable tour of the bullring and all of its preparation rooms, animal storage areas and museum.

    The tour commences with the museum, which displays all kinds of fascinating artifacts and pieces of art which commemorate the art of bullfighting. There are famous toreador outfits, bullfighting capes and weapons, as well as an explanation of how bullfighting began - which was a way for Spanish cavalry to become accustomed to fighting on horseback.

    We then walked through the animal enclosures for the bulls and the horses which are used in the bullfights (the picadors are mounted on horseback). Then we saw where the toreadors prepare, including a chapel where they pray moments before going out into the ring.

    We then walked out into the centre of the bullring itself and stood exactly where the Toreador would stand when waiting for the charging bull to emerge from the gates. The really brave toreadors take a kneeling stance when the bull first charges into the ring. I am not sure I would choose to face a charging bull, weighing 500-700 kgs, on my knees, but I have never been confronted with that particular challenge so it's hard to really say.

    The bullring was first constructed in 1749 and it is still used today. The bullfights are not taking place while we are here because everyone is on summer holidays, but there are some youth training events taking place in the next few days. Young and emerging bullfighters get to have a go over the summer months. Maybe its a bit of a holiday camp for naughty boys, I'm not sure.

    Bullfighting is a very proud tradition in Spain, although there is a lot of pressure to ban it. Animal rights groups have a strong objection and it is said that the majority on Spaniards now believe it should be banned. It has been banned in some parts of Spain, including Barcelona and Catalonia generally, but it still takes place here and in Madrid. We might be able to see a bullfight in Madrid, we are not sure. Is it okay to watch a bull being killed as sport?

    It was a very memorable tour of an iconic sporting arena in Seville.
    Read more