Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Venice to London

    October 5, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Steve, Fiona and I rose early to catch the 6.50am ferry from San Marco Square to Marco Polo Airport. The trip takes just over an hour and the ferry delivers passengers to a dock right at the airport, which is a novel way to reach an airport. Only in Venice. During the journey the sun rose across the lagoon and from behind the centuries old buildings, which was magical.
    We caught the 10.40am Wizz flight to London Gatwick, and there was no repeat of the dramas of my previous Wizz flight, being forearmed against the risk of not checking in online and losing the seat.
    The flight was smooth with views across the snowy alps and then the green landscape of southern England.
    We landed in London at close to midday and met Joanna who came to the airport to pick us up. It was very exciting to see her again.
    We drove through Surrey to the beautiful town of Shere, where we had lunch in an old English Inn dating from 1475, and which has been the set for various movies, including The Holiday. The food was delicious and very English, a contrast to the last three weeks in Italy.
    We visited the 800 year old church in Shere, which is surrounded by centuries old tombstones, and which was also the set for movies such as Bridget Jones and Four Weddings and a Funeral. The scenery in Shere, with huge green trees and quaint old houses and shops, is simply stunning.
    We then drove to Godalming, the town where Jo and Asher have been living, and visited their flat and went for a walk into the village, via the canal with the narrow old canal boats floating patiently in the fresh water. The canal system in England, with its unique locks, once provided an important transportation system through the country for goods and materials. Now tourists use it for a relaxing way to see the countryside. One can travel 350km right up to the north of England on the locks. One day maybe.
    We looked around Godalming, and then drove to Guildford, the larger city in Surrey where Asher works in the hospital. We met Asher after work and went to a delicious Thai restaurant for dinner. Afterwards we enjoyed coffee and dessert before setting off for a two hour drive to Bath, where we have booked an Airbnb for a couple of night to see the picturesque town of Bath. And to visit the old Roman baths that are evidence of the extensive reach of the Roman Empire that has been so prominent in our attention as we moved through Italy over the last three weeks.
    Another amazing day; from Venice in northeast Italy to Surrey and Bath in southwest England.
    Read more