Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Place Massena

    September 22, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 68 °F

    Ornate XIXth-century plaza lined with cafes & neoclassical buildings, host to many public events, which was named for André Masséna, a French military commander during the French Revolutionary Wars and the Napoleonic Wars who was one of the original 18 Marshals of the Empire created by Napoleon.
    Its layout was designed by Joseph Vernier in 1843-1844. The Place Masséna is the main square of the city.

    Now Place Masséna is full of interesting and quirky attractions.

    The 7 Buddhists sitting on tall stilts. they are meant to represent the seven continents coming together in harmony and are called “Conversation in Nice”. The sculpture us Jaume Plensa, same artist that did Nomade in Antibes

    Fontaine du Soleil - Landmark bronze sculpture of Greek god Apollo, a focus of local jokes & anecdotes since the 1950s.
    Hilarious facts-filed stuff here: https://thegoodlifefrance.com/the-infamous-stor…

    I also have to beg forgiveness from Pastor Mandy as I obviously gave her a wrong answer to her question about the red gorilla statue at the airport. Seems I was misinformed and it has nothing to do with being a mascot for one of rugby teams. Rather it's work by an Artist named Richard Orlinsky - a French sculptor and visual neo-pop artist and part of his "Born Wild" series, and here we see The Red's Yellow cousin.
    Read more