Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Colline du Château

    September 22, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 77 °F

    Colline du Château (The Castle Hill)
    The Castle Hill Park -iIdeally located by the sea, between the port and the old town, the Château hill is a 19.3 hectare wooded garden. It is one of the favorite parks of Nice and offers multiple viewpoints that allow you to discover exceptional panoramas over the Bay of Angels, the city, the hills, and the Pre-Alps.

    Short info about the Castle proper can be viewed here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_of_Nice

    European vacation...must be steps (465 to climb and then to come down) 😬

    The Cimetière du Château stands on the old citadel of Nice. Today, some sections of the massive walls of the ancient fortress remain. The cemetery itself was founded in 1783 and has 2,800 graves.
    We visited the Jewish section- Noublies jamais!!! (the urn contains ashes of Victims of Auschwitz).
    By not going to Chritian Section we missed graves of Alexander Gerzen (Russian writer and thinker known as the precursor of Russian socialism), Gaston Leroux (author of The Phantom of the Opera) and Carolina Otero or La Belle Otero, (a Spanish actress, dancer and courtesan - recall reference of Carlton Towers in Cannes)

    Speaking of towers, the Bellanda Tower guards over the Baie des Anges, in the south of the castle grounds.
    Read more