Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3–10

    Capetown South africa

    October 10, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Forty-eight hours before our flight to Israel, our plans completely changed. With war breaking out we reluctantly canceled our trip, not yet knowing how the conditions on the ground might unfold. Still in LA visiting family, we booked a last-minute flight to Cape Town, South Africa. We had vaguely planned to traverse Africa from north to south (Cairo to Cape Town), so without much thinking we switched to the reverse direction (south to north).

    After a 14-hour red eye from Atlanta we landed into the modern, cosmopolitan city. Opting for the quickest accommodations we booked an Airbnb in the Sea Point neighborhood and were pleasantly surprised. Cape Town is perhaps the most breath-takingly beautiful city we have ever visited (tied for first place with Rio de Janeiro, but we can’t seem to decide?).

    Side Note: During our previous travels (Gili Air Blog) we met a dear friend, Carryn. We have stayed in touch all these years. We forgot that she worked for years in SA tourism. Well, lucky for us!

    Carryn has treated us like a VIP client: showing us the sights and sounds, which have yet to disappoint – an ocean-front promenade, Nando’s (our longtime favorite fast food chicken), sea glass filled beach at Hout’s Bay, exceptional and cheap food (and wine!), an ostrich farm, a penguin colony, the rocky and very windy headlands of Cape of Good Hope, lots of Uber rides, a cave of gemstones, a sort-of-illegal join up with a 10K, a hike up Table Mountain, white sand Camps Bay, and an evening of singing by Ndoluvu Youth Choir (a trip highlight thus far – of America’s Got Talent fame).

    Oh, and Everett is home-schooling so he’s taking online classes but also learning by experiencing and interacting with the world around him. Latest discussions: the metric system, time zones, apartheid, and the history of Israel… not bad for week 1.

    The everyday vibe is comfortable and a bit like a laid back European feel, so it’s been a low-stress transition. The city is affordable, well developed, safe, and bustling with things to do. We just haven’t gotten enough yet, so we are extending our stay for a second week.

    Check out Ndoluvu Choir!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpLdMeHhrYQ

    Random Quotes & Notes:
    Everett: “I still can’t believe we’re in Africa!”
    Hillary: has been unconsciously speaking with a local accent and doesn’t realize she’s doing it
    Ken: “I love the Dollar to Rand conversion rate. Shouldn’t be we suffering more? I could definitely live here (Is Omar right???).”
    Read more