Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35–42

    Drakensberg, South Africa

    November 11, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    If you ever feel the need to escape to the secluded picturesque seaside, we recommend the Xhosa village in Bulungula. We mostly relaxed and took part in some easy activities – kayaking, playing on the private beach (more sand burials), and taking drumming lessons. On the evening before our departure a rainstorm arrived and turned our already-questionable road into a muddy disaster. We only got seriously stuck once – a steep embankment of pure mud that thankfully Ken managed to maneuver our poor vehicle through. The look of relief on our faces when we made it to the paved road was pure joy. That was until later in the day, when the rainstorm turned into thick fog and we encountered endless giant potholes and herds of sheep randomly crossing without warning. We realized a paved road could be just as brutal to the nerves.

    We stayed a few nights in Underberg at the southern end of the Drakensberg Mountains, drank so many cappuccinos (“the best in The Berg”), and made our way partially up the Sani Pass (near Lesotho border – unfortunately, we didn’t have a 4x4 or our passports). Shout out to our other son, Makalo.

    We are continually surprised how good the food is here – even an average bakery/diner makes a fantastic meal. Everett has found a new love of steak dinners. Of course, that’s balanced with our long drives where we “rip” a piece of bread and enjoy whatever “dip” we happen to have (Nutella, peanut butter, honey). Everett: “What’s for lunch?” Us: “Rip and dip”. Cue groan and eye roll from the backseat.

    For the last few evenings, we’ve been staying at a farm B&B at the base of the stunning escarpment of the central Drakensberg Mountains -- one of the most spectacular sights we’ve seen in South Africa. We hiked up a steep trail “the Sphinx” and Ken also made it to a hidden grotto.

    You might be wondering why we’re still in South Africa? Let’s just say we’re on the slow travel vibe. We’re trying to make genuine connections with local people, cultures, food, and well… South Africa is marketed as “the world in one country” and we are starting to understand why.
    Read more