Satellite
Afficher sur la carte
  • Jour 142

    Moalboal, Philippines

    26 février, Philippines ⋅ 🌙 26 °C

    Back on the island of Cebu, time has moved slowly for the last week in the tiny coastal town of Moalboal. It’s another top spot for scuba diving – home to a variety of marine life especially at Panagsama Beach, with its giant schools of sardines.

    We booked an AirBnB for four nights but after we arrived, honestly a little tired of moving around so much, we booked for another four nights. The house is owned by a large hospitable family, where the apartments are upstairs and the ground floor is retail (massage). Our place is just a short walk from the laid-back main street that has dive shops, tourist restaurants, and a few souvenir shops. But we are definitely in a local neighborhood: goats, roosters, and local food stalls (3 pieces of fried chicken for 45 cents). The neighbor boys build kites out of reclaimed plastic and Everett has joined them a few times.

    A common form of transport here is called a “tricycle,” which is a motorcycle with an attached sidecar. The small town we’re in has a strong American music vibe: loudspeakers blast 80’s easy listening music at all hours. And yes, karaoke sounds from most homes and establishments nearby. Everyone seems to be humming or singing, even at the grocery store. The weather has been especially sunny and the mid-afternoon sun is brutal. In the late afternoons, Ken and Everett have played basketball with local kids. Basketball is a huge sport here, and even the smallest towns have a covered court. The dive highlights so far have been swimming with the massive school of sardines (millions moving together in unison) and the coral wall near Pescador Island (good visibility, caverns, turtles, frog fish, barracudas, and sea snakes).
    En savoir plus