Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    More old rocks plus chocolate!

    January 3, 2019 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Getting out of Merida was easier as we sort of understood the one way systems by now (and we had google maps to help!) so we were soon cruising at 90+ down the Mex281 highway to the 2nd most important Mayan site after C I. , Uxmal.
    In many ways a more pleasurabltrtexperience than C I. As their were fewer people and the site is far more open allowing you to wander everywhere (also no hawkers lining every path as in C. I. ).
    We then continued South a few clicks to another very small site, Kabah. Interesting as it is run as a cooperative by the local Mayan villagers albeit an official Mexican site. After a lunch of a couple of local baked biscuits we headed back to Merida but took in the chocolate museum on the way ( well why not!). We thought this would be a bit of a tourist trap and take 10 to 15 mins. at the most but it turned out to be very interesting AND they gave you a hot chocolate drink as well. Combine this with a mini rescue zoo with spider monkeys and leopards and you get an hour and a half visit!
    Therefore we were quite late back to our hotel but after showering we hit the town for another good evening out (see Merida Madness)
    Read more