Satellite
  • Day 8

    Contrasts!

    January 6, 2019 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    First of all Happy Birthday Jo! We had good WiFi this morning so managed to speak and see her on her birthday. Isn't FaceTime wonderful!?
    We stayed in Valladolid for the morning visiting an incredible house owned by an elderly American couple who have been collecting Mexican artefacts for 60+ years! Tours are free but you are invited to put $5 each into the charity box and give the guide a small tip. A wonderful place called Casa de los Venados, well worth staying the morning for.
    We then headed East towards the coast but stopped at Coba which are Mayan ruins set deep in the jungle. The site is a bit chaotic but the main attraction is the highest Mayan pyramid in N. Mexico AND you can climb it! Which of course we did and several people clapped us when we got down! A bit embarrassing really!
    We were hot and sweaty after that so stopped at another cenote for a dip before hitting the coast. What a difference! Crowds of people in cars, on bikes or walking. A narrow beachfront road with cars parked wherever. It took us an hour to travel the 8ks to our hotel! But we are here in a really hip joint (well it's called the Hip Hotel) in a cabina just off the beach with loud music playing and a hammock on the balcony - as I say - what a contrast!
    Read more