Satellite
  • Day 26

    Jungle or rain forest?

    January 24, 2019 in Costa Rica ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    I suggested to our guide Manuel (it had to be! Que?) that the difference was just Hollywood but he explained that jungle was immature rain forest where the canopy still let in enough sunlight for undergrowth to thrive hence the need for machetes in a jungle but not in a rain forest where the undergrowth has disappeared as no light reaches the forest floor. So now you know and I'll bore you further with the day's activities.
    The morning boat tour was a 5.45 start! Back around 8.15 for breakfast. Very quiet and peaceful at that time and we spotted a good selection of wildlife. Several species of heron, egrets, vultures, waders, toucans, etc. We watched both spider monkeys and capuchin monkeys but have yet to spot a howler. Other wildlife spotted were Cayman , crocks and a water snake.
    After a leisurely breakfast we met our guide at 10 for a jungle walk. Here we saw the infamous poisonous red dart frog and several others, a viper, several species of bats, spiders and, of course, more spider monkeys!
    We had a lazy afternoon round the pool and once again retired quite early as it was another fairly early start in the morning.
    Read more