Satellite
  • Day 8

    Amsterdam

    June 12, 2016 in the Netherlands ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Today was the day we had no plan for. We were supposed to leave for the train station, to catch a train to Brussels to London. Yet we were in Amsterdam for another day. So, instead we desperately booked alternative arrangements to get to London the next day.

    So we woke up calmly, then phased into a farce, and lazed around until 2pm in the room once we figured out those alternative arrangements. So on to another problem; we needed foreign monies. Off to Amsterdam 'Dam' - the central square - to change some of our euros into pounds. We were running out of things we wanted to do, so I suggested the Bloemenmarkt - where they sell Amsterdam's famous tulips. Alas, the shops were closing as we arrived, and it was a bit of a disappointment. After this, we decided to head to 'Vondelpark' - Amsterdam's equivalent of Hyde Park or Central Park. It was quite tranquil, we picked a spot in the grass amongst other sparse groups of youths, and lay down under the clouds.

    After chilling in the park, we trudged a whole 200 metres to Hard Rock Café, where we had dinner. Ilhan bought a souvenir shirt, to add to his collection of 2, and then we tried to figure out a way to the Red Light District. The first time around, following my directions, we went to the wrong place, and were a little confused because nothing was happening anywhere. Second time around, we got to the District, and walked around for half an hour. I'll leave it to everyone to give their own unique descriptions of the District. We struggled to get back home because I ran out of mobile internet, and battery, so had to rely on the kindness of a man at the tram station to guide us back home. Fun stuff ;)

    --Babur :o
    Read more