Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Day 1 - Driving to Wales

    August 1, 2019 in England ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    At 10.45am, a grey Audi pulled up outside our house. It was Chris & Angela, only 15 minutes early! We were about to embark on a 2 week holiday in Southern Ireland 🇮🇪.

    We loaded up the rucksacks into Chris’ car, I donned my motorcycle helmet & we were off. The plan was to drive to Chepstow, then the following morning continue to Pembroke Docks to catch the ferry to Rosslare Harbour. Jackie would travel in the car with Chris & Angela, whilst I would ride my bike.

    We decided to take the scenic route, the A272 from Cuckfield to Winchester, then stop for lunch. We set off in convoy, but within just a couple of miles, we were stuck in a 10 minute traffic jam for tree surgery. It was then a slow procession westwards to all the way to Petworth.

    After negotiating the narrow streets lined with Antique shops, we then hit one of my favourite stretches of road, Petworth to Midhurst. We even actually were able to make some overtakes, until we came to a grinding halt on the outskirts of Midhurst. The town was in total gridlock, we believe due to a lorry unloading timber in the High Street.

    Eventually we were back on our way, through Petersfield, then we circled the huge Boomtown Fair site to Winchester. After 2 hours into our journey, we stopped for lunch at Sutton Scotney Services on the A34, giving me a chance to rest my aching buttocks & catch up on the Cricket score.

    Boomtown Fair is a massive 3 day event, with literally 100s of bands on 17 different stages. The headliners include Ms. Lauryn Hill, Chase & Status, The Streets, UB40 & 2 Sick Monkeys. Who? Some of my favourite bands are also playing, including Killing Joke, Slaves, Pennywise, Subhumans & my particular favourite, Zounds.

    After a coffee & half a sandwich, we agreed to meet up again at the hotel in Chepstow. I put the address into the SatNav, then filled up with petrol. The SatNav then took me on a slightly circuitous route, through Andover & Marlborough, so I pulled over & discovered the settings on my SatNav were to avoid Motorways, Tolls, Ferries, etc etc. Not very helpful in the circumstances!

    With the settings amended, I joined the M4 at Swindon & cruised along past Bristol, over the Severn Road Bridge into Chepstow. On an A4 bridge near Bristol was a message ‘BORIS IS A HELCH’. Apparently, it previously read ‘BORIS IS A COKED UP PERVERT’.

    It was just after 4.00pm that I rode down the driveway to the St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club, which Chris had very kindly got for us at the bargain price of £40 for the night including breakfast!

    Outside reception, I was met by Chris & the girls, who had already checked in. Jackie took me to our room to sort out my ‘helmet head’, then we joined Chris & Angela in the sunshine for a couple of much needed beers for the men & Proseccos for the ladies. Most of the other residents seem to be a large mixed Polish contingent, who had played a round of golf.

    St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club is renowned as one of the UK’s finest golf courses. There are 2 courses, the Old Course has played host to Curtis Cup, the British Masters and the Solheim Cup. Chris & I were sad we hadn’t got our clubs to ‘tear up’ the course.

    The hotel itself is posh, it is built round a 14th century manor & has an 11th century church in the grounds. There was in fact a wedding fair also taking place in the hotel, Angela & Jackie, posed as ‘partners’ to sample the free wares on offer, well, mainly Prosecco. Chris & I received just a doughnut each!

    Around 6.00pm, we tried & failed to get a taxi to take us the 2 miles into Chepstow. Chris drove & we parked up in the shadow of the imposing Chepstow Castle, that sits on the River Wye. Unfortunately the castle was closed for the day, but we were able to walk around the outside.

    Construction of Chepstow Castle began in 1067 by William Marshall & the mighty Castle Doors have been dated as being no later than 1090, making them the oldest Castle Doors in Europe!

    At the top of the hill, we stopped in The George PH to take advantage of ‘Happy Hour’, unfortunately we didn’t ask what ‘Happy Hour’ consisted of & we paid full price for our drinks. Not a bargain!

    We then hunted around for a suitable dinner spot & settled on the very pleasant & reasonable Lime Tree. Between us we had a Curry, Steak Sandwich, Fish & Chips & I had Mac & Cheese, all washed down with local beer & a bottle of Prosecco.

    I can only put it down to the fresh air on the motorbike, NOT the company, but I felt ridiculously tired in the Lime Tree. When we got back to the hotel at 9.30pm, I went straight to bed & was asleep within seconds.

    Song of the Day - Motorcycle Emptiness by Manic Street Preachers
    Read more