Satellite
  • Day 16

    Day 16 - Breaking Rocks in the Hot Sun

    August 19, 2020 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Our very early night had consequences. Jackie woke up at midnight for a couple of hours & I woke up at 3.15am & never got back to sleep again.

    At 8.00am, I popped down the bakery for a meat pasty & a couple of baguettes to sample Cherry’s home made jam & butter. It nearly ended in disaster, because I forgot my mask, but the bakery ladies took pity on me & allowed me in.

    After breakfast we packed up & then took a short walk to the fort atop Skradin. It was a ruin, but afforded a nice view.

    We then returned to the car & set off for Split. I took a deliberate detour via Sibenik which I had got in my head was a pretty little town, but as we approached the outskirts it was getting very industrial, so we abandoned that idea.

    We then re-routed on the non toll country roads south towards Split. Our route took us inland then back out to the coast at Seget Donji, which gave us great views looking down on to the town of Trogir, a UNESCO World Heritage Site for it’s Venetian architecture.

    We couldn’t stop because we had a ferry to catch, so we raced along to Split, located it’s port & bought ourselves a ticket for the 12.30pm car ferry to the Island of Brac.

    After a 50 minute ferry journey we arrived at Supetar on Brac & then 10 minutes later we arrived at Boutique Camping Bunja, our home for the next 5 nights. We checked in at reception & were allocated our pitch. Our view is exceptional, looking out through pine trees to the Adriatic & the Croatian coastline to the south of Split.

    At Jackie’s insistence, we sought out the cafe for a cold beer & a plate of chips. We also checked out the favourable reviewed beach. Both were a disappointment, the cafe was too modern, we prefer rustic charm & the beach was smaller than we imagined, full of kids & next to a road.

    Slightly demoralised, we returned to our pitch & set about erecting our tent. It was now a slick operation, however I am already sick of trying to mallet tent pegs into rocks & stones. It didn’t help that it was windy & the tent was being blown about all over the place. Eventually we had it erected to a satisfactory standard.

    We had our chores complete, including getting our bedding laundered in the free washing machine, by just after 4.00pm, so we went down to the beach to give it a trial run. It was absolutely fine & we will spend the day on it tomorrow.

    At close to 7.00pm we left the beach & showered, then returned to the cafe for some of the advertised ‘mama’s’ cooking. It was a huge disappointment, again. It was 2 young lads cooking & serving. I had a minuscule portion of bland spaghetti bolognese & Jackie had fried chicken & chips & a sad garden salad. We won’t be eating an evening meal there again. Jackie could definitely do much better on a one ringed stove!

    After a wine back at our camp table & chairs we called it a night.

    Song of the Day : I Fought The Law by The Clash.
    Read more