Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 88

    Estonian History Museum-Great Guild Hall

    August 4, 2022 in Estonia ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Today we went to the Tallinn Great Guild Hall, the former site of the Merchant Guild in Tallinn. The Guild Hall became the Stock Exchange building in 1872, before becoming a museum in 1952.

    The museum had an exhibit of some traditional musical instruments, history of the building itself and a weapons collection with a brief history of wars involving Estonia.

    One interesting modern fact of Estonia is that when it gained its incidence in 1991 (along with Lithuania and Latvia), it faced a period of great poverty. Until a decision was made for the country to make heavy investments in technology. Since the 90s were the beginning of the information age, Estonia realized it was on a level playing field with other countries. Today, Estonia is a major tech hub and the most wealthy of these 3 Baltic states. We actually watched a video showing elementary school children programming robots to navigate mazes. Estonia can also boast that the popular web video calling platform Skype hails from an Estonian tech start-up (now a part of a Microsoft).

    You can learn more about Estonia's rise at the link below.
    https://youtu.be/GqLJA7sXD-c
    Read more