Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 117

    Pula, Capital of Istria, Croatia

    September 2, 2022 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    The Istria peninsula has been continuously inhabited since 800,000 BC. Pula is the Croatian capital of Istria. I have to say Croatia, because Italy and Slovenia also occupy small pieces of Istria as well. The ancient regions of Croatia are very important to its identity. In fact the flag of Croatia is a composite the 5 historical shields of its 5 regions. If you look above the flag, there are 5 smaller emblems above the red and white chalkboard. They represent, from left to right: Croatia, Dubrovnik, Dalmatia, Istria and Slavonia.

    Istra and Pula have been ruled by the Romans, Byzantine, Franks, Venetians, Habsburg, Napolean, Austrians, Italy, and then Yugoslavia until an independent Croatia was established. It was the Romans that seem to have left the biggest mark. Three are many ancient relics of their rule still left in Pula. These include the Arena (think Colosseum), Temple of Constantine, Amphitheater, and Roman Forum.

    During the Hasburg rule, the Istria Coast became littered with cannon forts. We visited Fortress Kaštel, here in Pula which gave us great panoramic views of Pula.
    Read more