Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 186

    Alba Iulia, Romania

    November 10, 2022 in Romania ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    Dave and Emily went on a tour today to some final Transylvania destinations. Among them was Alba Iulia. Alba Iulia is significant for two reasons. When Transylvania was part of the Roman Empire, Alba Iulia was the capital of the region. Secondly, when Romania was unified with Transylvania, the signing of the agreement was held here.

    The main attraction of Alba Iulia is the Fortress. Created by the Austro-Hungarians, it features the common star shape of many fortresses of the period. The star shape allowed cannon cover from all angles and provided good deflection of incoming cannon balls. The fortress at Alba Iulia was never conquered.

    Also of note, is the Orthodox Church, Reunification Cathedral, where the King and Queen of Romania were married. The church was constructed to the Queen's tastes and styles of the time (it's good to be the Queen).

    This site also has more historic significance. It was originally founded by the Roman's over 2000 years ago. Some ruins like the forum are still partially present today. Mining for gold and salt from the river were key industries historically here.
    Read more