Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 282

    Sintra, Portugal

    February 14, 2023 in Portugal

    We're back at it! After returning back to the USA for the holidays and to wait out the winter, we've returned to Europe. We're starting off this leg back where we left off, in the Iberian Peninsula. We flew into Lisbon and traveled to our first stop in Sintra, about 40 minutes west. This time we also have Emily's father John with us for a few weeks.

    Sintra is said by many both past and present to be the most beautiful place in Portugal. It's very easy to see why. Romantic elegance of the old town cobbled streets that meet and disappear into the natural beauty of the forrests,, national parks, and mountains. Sintra is a magical place that boasts grand palaces and castles within walking distance. We were fortunate enough to visit Quinta de Regaleira, Castelo dos Muros, and the palace of Monserrate. They were all outstanding with the later being perhaps our favorite due to its elaborate gardens with plants from across the globe. Just 30km from Lisbon Sintra swept us back in time and had such a storybook feel it was hard not to adore this town. Just beware of the hills and bring good walking shoes!

    While Sintra has evidence of early human settlement from the Paleolithic era and has been occupied by the Romans, it's the Moorish occupation that feels most prominent. As already stated, we visited Castelo dos Muros which was built between the 8th and 9th centuries. While a fortress, it's primary function was that of a lookout point for the surrounding area and the bay leading to Lisbon. The Moors remained in this area until driven out by the first king of Portugal, Alfonzo V, drove them out in 1147.

    Quinta da Regaleira was a private residence. The construction as it is seen today began in 1904. It is rumored to have connections to the Knights Templar and their initiation well.
    Read more