Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 292

    Setenil de las Bodegas, Spain

    February 24, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Located in the northeast of the province, Setenil de las Bodegas (or just Setenil) is one of the most unique towns in the White Villages of the Sierra de Cádiz due to its particular urban framework. In it, the houses accommodate different levels, placing some under the rock and others on it, configuring cave streets, viewpoints and jaw dropping scenery. I'm not going to lie it's a little nerve racking sitting under these boulders for cafe.

    Seeing Setenil just after Ronda offered an interesting juxtaposition. Ronda saw a gorge and built a magnificent bridge over it. Setenil saw a gorge and saw luxury apartments. 😂

    The current location of Setenil is of medieval origin, preserving today vestiges of its Almohad past in the space of La Villa, although human presence dates from the Neolithic. Of the medieval fortress, the Torre del Homenaje and an underground cistern still stand. In addition, its heritage is completed with the Parish Church of Nuestra Señora de la Encarnación, in late-Gothic Renaissance style, and the hermitages of Nuestra Señora del Carmen, San Benito and San Sebastián. The Old Town Hall has a magnificent Mudejar coffered ceiling from the 16th century, unique in the province, this town is also part of the so-called Route of the Catholic Monarchs, a route that allows you to discover the historical legacy of Setenil linked to the Christian conquest in 1484.
    Read more