Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 299

    Alhambra, Granada, Spain

    March 3, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    The Alhambra was an authentic walled city built by the Nasrid Kings of Granada, in the last period of Muslim domination in Spain. The palace itself was a walled city to help defend against any invaders. It was a Muslim stronghold secured in the 8th century by the Moorish who originally came from Syria via Morrocco. They secured the southern half of Spain taking it from the Visigoths at the time. They settled in Granada as well as many other cities in southern spain now known as Al-Anduluce. Today the Alhambra is the most visited tourist attraction in all of Spain. We did a night tour which was fabulous and we enjoyed a long walk up to get to the Alhambra which sits atop a hill. We went through and toured the 3 main palaces which were elaborated upon one nicer than the other over time. This palace housed over twenty sultans. At the time the palace was not always a safe place to live. Attire covered everything but the eyes and it was impossible to tell whom you were speaking to. It created a dynamic of mistrust and sultans were in constant fear of being killed off only to be replaced. That being said the Alhambra was a peaceful and solitary feel.

    We visited the Alhambra as a "Night tour." We hadn't done one of these before and some of the lighting effects they curated were very pretty. Not sure if we'll do it again though.

    Photosphere of one of the Alhambra rooms.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/vcrvFPT1798DvUyp6
    Read more