Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 311

    Chefchaouen, Morocco

    March 15, 2023 in Morocco ⋅ 🌙 16 °C

    Chefchaouen was originally formed as a fortified city to protect against Portuguese invaders who had invaded north Africa as part of the Reconquista. It later became a popular place for both Muslims and Jews who were fleeing the Iberian Peninsula due to persecution from the Spanish Inquisition.

    Today, Chefchaouen is known as the blue city. According to Wikipedia there are many meanings regarding the blue walls. They cite one possible reason as the "blue keeps mosquitos away." Our guide gave us a much more romantic story. When Jews first came to Chefchaouen they did not settle inside the city walls. They started painting their houses blue as it has a symbolic meaning of the sky and being close to God. Muslims painted their houses white as it helps cool and is associated with serenity (you often see white houses in Morocco and Southern Spain). As Jews continued to live there they started to move inside the Medina walls, thus bringing the blue inside. As some Jewish and Muslims inter-married houses took on a two tone Blue and White look.

    It's no surprise today that the blue and white can be found all over the city today. As Chefchaouen has grown as a tourist attraction it has even now become regulated that any residents who paint any other color can be fined.

    Chefchaouen is truly beautiful. It's unlike any other place you may visit. It's no short drive to get out there, but it is an unforgettable experience.
    Read more