Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 310

    Tangier, Morocco

    March 14, 2023 in Morocco ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    -Brief History-
    Tangier started as a Phoenician colony as early as the 10th century BC. From there, Berber tombs were fight dating back to the 6th Century BC. It first became a major port in the 5th Century by the Carthaginians. In the 70s BC Roman gained control of the city and then the Byzantine (Eastern Roman) Empire in 533.

    Then, Tangier fell under Muslim rule under the leadership of Musa bin Nusayr between 707-711 AD. During this time Tangles served as the capital of the "province" of Morocco (Maghreb the native name for Morocco).

    After the Reconquesta in Spain and Portugal, the Portuguese king, Alfonso I led a campaign in northern Africa and conquered Tangier in 1471. In the 17th century, Portugal handed over Northern Morocco rule to the Spainish. It remained that way until it gain independence in 1952!

    Greek legend states that Hercules slept here in Tangier before completing the 11th of 12 trials (stealing a sacred apple). In fact there is a cave here called the Cave of Hercules that is rumored to be where he slept.

    -What Tangier is Like
    SAFE!

    The streets between the Souk (Market) and the Kasbah (Fortress/Castle) is a venerable maze. Our AirBnB was there and I swear we went a different way to and from there each and every day. I still don't know the most efficient path. Besides that, we felt very safe getting lost in these streets. There were many small convince stores all around so we were never really alone. The Petite Socco (small square) is filled with restaurants and coffee shops. The Market proper is loaded with meat, spice and fresh fish markets. It's worth walking around to take it all in. Past that, to south is the "Grand Socco" (large rotary) and more modern clothing stores, restaurants, and places to get your tourist sim card.

    It was a nice beginner Mahgreb city. A place to practice our poor Arabic (really hard language with a lot of subtlety) and practice our polite and respectful behavior (such as not using your left hand for eating or gesturing).

    -Disclaimer-
    I apologize in advance for anytime I lost the auto correct war and Tangier was written as Tangles.

    Shukran (Thanks)!
    Read more