Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 321

    Sahara Desert, Morocco

    March 25, 2023 in Morocco ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    We had the wonderful experience of doing a three day tour through Southern Morocco which concluded with a stay out in the tip of the Sahara desert, this area known as Erg Chebbi. Our Berber guides took us through a sunset tour on camels followed by dinner and traditional Berber music and dancing around the campfire. We concluded the evening star gazing and sleeping out in the desert tents. It was a once in a lifetime experience and something we will never forget.

    Also, when we were star gazing, Dave tried to take a picture of the stars. He took a picture that seems, almost too good to be true. We wonder if there was sand on the camera lens, but we can't confirm or deny either theory. Dave tried like 20 times to replicate the picture, but could not.

    High res photo.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/QZQAAM8eUu1bP4ex9

    Just as an FYI we have been pretty sparse on the photos of us in Morocco for two reasons:
    1. In the medina and souks it's very common practice to have locals expect a little bit of money if they are in the photos. Morocco is busy so often photos have many people.
    2. More importantly it is very frowned upon for Muslim women to have their photo taken. Morocco is 90% muslim. Many do not prefer this or are very adamant against it. We obviously try to be as respectful as possible to different cultures and religions as we travel. Out in the desert though it was pictures galore.
    3. We met a lot of great people on this trip! We got along very well with them. We did a contact exchange and were able to do a photo swap with them. This actually gave us access to pictures of ourselves. It was hard to take our own pictures on camels we could neither stop or dismount without our guide, Abdul's, commands. We were the oldest of the group, so we appreciated the inclusions and sending photos to the "old couple."
    Read more