Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 362

    Ancient Side, Turkey

    May 5, 2023 in Turkey ⋅ ☁️ 26 °C

    Side (pronounced Cid-eh) was originally settled by the Greek in the 7th century BC. Over time, these Greek settlers became assimilated with local populations and lost the Greek language. The local language was a derivative of "Luwian" and is lost to time. However, we do know that Side was their word for "Pomegranate." Thus Side is named after the seedy red fruit.

    Side was conquered by Persians, Macedonians, Ptolemaians, Seleucids, then gained independence before falling to the Romans. While under the rule of the Macedonians and Alexander the Great, many megalithic structures were constructed between the 3rd and 2nd centuries. Side was home to a great Amphitheater, a Monumental Fountain, and a Temple of Athena. Those are ones that are still partially standing today.

    Side was totally abandoned by the 10th century AD as residents moved to the nearby city of Antalya. The ruins became known as "Old Antalya" by the locals. It wasn't until 1895 that Turkish refuges from Crete relocated here when Greece annexed it. They settled in the ruins as refugees.

    Today Side is a vibrant beach town and very active archeological site. As more and more restaurants and boutique hotels popup, they discover more and more ruins as foundations are dug. Many buildings are constructed on some type of stilts over the ruins with thick plexiglass decks overlooking the ruins.
    Read more