Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 375

    Strasbourg, France

    May 18, 2023 in France ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Strasbourg is the capital of the Territorial collectivity of Alsace. The collectivity is a one of 3 that make up the French Region (kind of like a French "state") of "Grand Est". It shares the almost 50% of its border with Germany and that is very apparent from the cuisine. We were taken a back when we got here and were served heaping piles of Sauerkraut, with sausage. This is not you petite déjeuner from Paris or southern France. More on the food later though.

    Strasbourg, like most of the region is known for half timber houses in its old town. The architecture is really stunning in this town. It's relatively light on tourists except for local French and a few German. In fact, it was not uncommon for us to have to scramble with bad French as locals spoke less English here than in most places in Europe we encountered.

    Strasbourg is also known for a small series of canals in its "Le Petite France" district. The canals are lined with half timber houses and tax collection defensive towers from back in the day.

    It's a beautiful city, and one of our favorites thus far.
    Read more