Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 392

    Salzburg, Austria

    June 4, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Salzburg is known as many things. This 150,000 population city got famous as its home to white gold or salt which was very valuable at the time. Also known as Rome of the north for many of its cathedrals, architecture and beautiful churches its easy to see the slight resemblance. Salzburg overall felt like a very elegant and refined town. Home to Mozart we visited his childhood home and took in his compositions at the local museum. For fans of the movie Sound of Music many scenes were filmed in Salzburg at Mirabels Palace and in the nearby lake district. The main Salzburg Cathedral found in old town is among one of the prettiest we have seen in Europe and we enjoyed a brief organ concert while taking it in. Salzburg also has an iconic fortress, which is the largest preserved fortress in Europe sitting atop its hill overlooking the city.

    We also had the pleasure of attending an Organ Concert in Salzburg Cathedral. There is a video at the end of the post. The Church has 7 organs and while the video only shows the performance on one organ, the artist did walk down the stairs and back up to play at least 4 of the organs. We felt bad for him. Here is a Photosphere of the Salzburg Cathedral.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/SSYqBYaMRn45nN489
    Read more