Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Den Gamle By

    September 9, 2019 in Denmark ⋅ 🌧 17 °C

    Got to the entrance of Den Gamle By just as it started pouring with rain. Had to dorn ponchos :)

    Open-air museum

    Den Gamle By (The Old Town) is a national open-air museum of urban history and culture in Denmark through three centuries. The museum consists of more than 75 historic houses relocated from all over Denmark.

    Dated from the mid-1500s to around the late 1800s, each with their own story. Inside the houses you can see the interior decorating, the house plants and the clothings of various periods from before the 1900s.

    Besides the historic houses and the appartments in the 1974 section, there are more than 34 workshops and shops as well as a pharmacy, a school, a post office, a telephone exchange, a jazzbar and much more. Furthermore the museum has its own theater, the Elsinore Theatre, which is used for opera, chamber concerts, festivals etc.

    It was amazing! Filled with old houses that we could walk through and read the stories! They have even moved places now from the 1970s which I thought was an amazing idea as though they are not that old yet they are nostalgic and will be old in another 30 years!

    We had so much fun walking through the town in the rain! Stopped into the bar for a quick beer and to dry off. Down underground so warm and cosy. They have jazz here at Christmas. Mum we are coming here not this year next!!! Winter Christmas!

    I loved the old town!

    Into town with a stop off at the gay chair in front of the church then onwards for a vegan cafe restaurant that Nanna had given Stell for her birthday.

    Simply amazing day in Denmark
    Read more