Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Bad then fantastic

    September 14, 2019 in Iceland ⋅ ⛅ 7 °C

    So Iceland Air... hrrrrrm. Not the greatest. Overbooked our flight to Iceland, tried to put us on another plane then realised we were travelling together got on the same plane after lining up for an hour in Denmark.
    Arrived Iceland no dramas but on a leased plane as Iceland Air grounded their 74something planes.
    50 minutes to change no time to eat. Food has to be paid for on board.
    Wait, waiting. ‘Excuse me ladies and gentlemen. There is an issue with our emergency exit slide. We are attempting to fix it and will keep you updated’.
    An hour and a half goes by and a bus pulls up and more people are put on the plane. Stella and I were not allocated seats together so before this bus we had shifted seats to sit together. That time was over.
    2 hours in we get an update. New slide needed. 10 minutes to get here 20 minutes to install.
    2:40 in same message... hrrrm
    3:30 and we are told we need to get off the plane.

    Ok so fantastic bit. They are offering 45 people hotel transfers, meal vouchers, accomodation, plus 600 Euro compensation to stay in Iceland for the night!!!!
    They are paying me to stay somewhere I have always wanted to go!!

    We made absolute friends with the service desk lady and we thought all our Christmas’ had come at once. We even got $80 worth of food vouches which we split on food and some alcohol samples of Iceland. She said people aren’t usually as happy as us. We have her high fives, literally!

    Stella is a gem at getting to the front of queues so I think we were 7th to claim the offer.

    So we were supposed to depart at 5pm. We arrived at the Plaza hotel by 11pm. Long ass day but. We were so excited!

    We are in Reykjavík!!!
    Read more