Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    Kazbegi pt1

    June 8, 2023 in Georgia ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Today was fabulous! I took a tour to go see kazbegi which is the 3rd highest mountain in georgia. The tour took all day and we stopped at a bunch of different spots.
    Firstly we went to the dam that provides all of tbilisi with its drinking water, it was surrounded by huge hills and the water was a beautiful vibrant blue colour. The guide was super informative and talked the whole way, she said that the Russians built the dam and there's a bunch of towns underwater now that you can still see if you dive down because the Russians flooded them.
    Next we stopped at a church that overlooked the same dam, took some cool pics and felt the water which was much warmer than I was expecting. The road for the entire trip had huge steep green hills on either side and apparently wolves, deer and wild pig live there, I was hoping there mightve been tigers!!
    We then had lunch which was great because everyone on the tour spoke English so we were all complaining about how sick of bread and cheese we all were and compared stories of getting ripped off at the airport. Made me feel a lot better about that coz 60 lari turned out to be normal :)). I had another cheesy pie pizza and it made me feel sick the rest of the day but whatever.
    Next we stopped at the friendship monument which is located at the highest point of the military road 2350m above sea level. I noticed the air was a little thinner and harder to breathe. The monument was made by Georgians because Russia forced them to build it to show how great friends they are ahahaha. The tour guide showed us a bunch of small artistic details the Georgians changed on it to spite Russia, the main ones being they made all the mother figures have brown hair and all the kids have blonde hair to represent that georgia is the more mature motherly country looking over and protecting Russia lol. Best views I've ever seen it was truly breathtaking.
    Lastly we went to kazbegi, amazing views again, I was gobsmacked. At that point of the trip I was only 4kms away from Russia!!! It was just over the other side of the mountain.
    I definitely want to come back here and stay at kazbegi, there's a great hotel called Rooms Hotel. You can hike up the mountain in summer too!! Its taller than 5000m and the Alps.
    Read more