Satellite
  • Day 21

    Tokyo

    October 21, 2014 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Ah Japan, the place I've been wanting to come to since I was little. I've always found the gadgets and quirkiness fascinating.

    Day 1:
    I arrived pretty late and needed to sort my whole Japan trip put as I had a rail ticket for 14 days. Cesar, who I met in Seoul gave me some useful advice. I quickly found out the things I really wanted to do were not possible, I couldn't climb Mt. Fuji as it was the off season, I couldn't hike the world's biggest volcanic crater because of increased activity and there were no sumo wrestling fights going on. So I spent the whole of my first night researching stuff to do. I came out with a rough plan and was going to spend the next day walking around Tokyo.

    Day 2:
    Tokyo was a wash out. It was raining constantly. I did my best to walk around but my pumps were soaking. It was time to give up and head home.

    This was the first time I felt down on my trip. Japan wasn't going to plan, I was fed up of cities as there wasn't much to do other than get drunk or shop, I didn't feel like I was connecting with the locals which is one of the things I enjoy most about travelling. I was having my doubts about the longevity of this trip.

    I knew I would have days like this on my trip so I wrote it off knowing I was coming back to Tokyo at the end of my time in Japan. Also reading back on my blog reminds me of the fun great things I've done and the amazing friends I've made so far in a short amount of time.

    It's not even been a month but I do think I will change how I do this trip. Instead of seeing as many countries in 6 months I plan to see less countries but spend longer in each. I'm struggling to constantly be on the move with no down time. The places I've enjoyed most have been places where I stayed for more than 4 nights. I know I can always come back and see the countries I didn't get a chance to see on this trip another time.
    Read more