Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    02.14.2024 Phillip Island, Australia

    February 14 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    Happy Valentine’s Day! We are on anchored off the coast of Phillip Island. It’s very cool today. 64 degrees but sunny. And of course windy. It’s a nice reprieve from the 97 degrees we experienced yesterday in Melbourne.

    Phillip Island forms a natural breakwater for the shallow waters of the Western Port. It is 26 km (16 mi) long and 9 km (5.6 mi) wide, with an area of about 101 km2 (40 sq mi).[4] It has 97 km (60 mi) of coastline and is part of the Bass Coast Shire.
    A 640 m (2,100 ft) concrete bridge (originally a wooden bridge) connects the mainland town San Remo with the island town Newhaven.[4] In the 2021 census, the island's permanent population was 13,799

    Phillip Island is home to Australia's largest colony of little penguins, with an impressive 40,000 breeding penguins found on the Summerland Peninsula. The little penguin is not only the smallest of all penguins weighing around 1kg but also the only penguin with blue and white feathers.

    Myron spent his morning at the spa and Diana had a class where we made our own body scrub. It was very fun. We did tender to shore but there was a huge storm last night so they were without power which meant the stores were not open and if they were they only took cash. Melbourne was also without power so our timing to leave there was excellent.

    Our included excursion was to see the penguins as they come ashore by the hundreds at sunset. Photos are not allowed but this is what they look like. Diana’s favorite part was the wallaby drinking.
    Read more