Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 86

    04.01.2024 Port Louis, Mauritius

    April 1 in Mauritius ⋅ ☁️ 82 °F

    We are spending our day in Port Louis, Mauritius.
    Mauritius, an Indian Ocean island nation, is known for its beaches, lagoons and reefs. The mountainous interior includes Black River Gorges National Park, with rainforests, waterfalls, hiking trails and wildlife like the flying fox. Capital Port Louis has sites such as the Champs de Mars horse track, Eureka plantation house and 18th-century Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Botanical Gardens.
    What a great nights sleep we had. Our room is a 2 story suite as the first room smelled awful of smoke. Great air conditioning, no smells and clean.
    We grabbed a taxi after breakfast to have an island tour.
    We visited the Citadel for some amazing views of the City, Indian Ocean and the Marina.
    The construction of Citadel Fort began on 11th November 1830 and ended 10 years later on 4th November 1840 and was built in the honour of the wife of King William IV. Out of the four fortresses built by the British during the 19th century, it is only the Citadel Fort, also known as Fort Adelaide, that resisted the French invasion.
    The Fort was originally built as a means to fortify the defense of Port Louis but was never used for that reason. It is now known as a famous spot for impressive views of the Capital. The Fort itself is an impressive sight. With the wall made of huge cut stones of basalt rocks, the Fort still holds some remnants from the past such as cannons.
    However, the Citadel Fort is now famous for the 360-degree view of the Capital. Here, you will have a breathtaking view of the Capital and you get it from all the angles!
    We next visited the Cathedral of Port Louis. Several churches have been built in succession at this location. Between 1752 and 1756, Joseph-François Charpentier de Cossigny built the first, which soon fell apart, and then was hit by a cyclone in 1760. A new church collapsed again on April 9, 1773 as a result of another cyclone. A further reconstruction in 1782 soon ended in collapse. Subsequently, the building was restored in 1814 by Sir Robert Townsend Farquhar, the first British governor, until the same recurring structural problems reappeared in 1819. Bishop Jacques Leen rebuilt the structure from 1930 to 1933, and a final restoration was completed in 2007.
    We drove past many government buildings including the Prime Minister’s resident and the Municipality of Port Louis.
    Our next stop was an ATM as none of the markets accept US dollars or credit cards. That was crazy. There must of been 100 people in this building with 6 atm machines. Took us about 20 minutes.
    After the ATM we went to the Central Market. The vegetables looked amazing. Our big purchase was our customary magnet.
    Our final stop was yes, you guessed it another Hindu Temple. Kannanur Mariamman Kovil Temple is Intricately hand carved wooden sculptures of Hindu Gods, Kannanur Mariamman Kovil Hindu. The ceilings medallions are always so beautiful but I think we are templed out.
    Back to the hotel and spent the rest of the afternoon by the pool.
    Dinner tonight was on the water with Don, Kully, Warren and Allison. Fish and chips with wine was on the menu.
    Back to the hotel and called it a night. Tomorrow the Viking Neptune docs about 6:30 am . We plan on being on board by 9:00.
    Read more