Satelliet
Weergeven op kaart
  • Dag 106

    04.21.2024 Dakar, Senagal

    21 april, Senegal ⋅ ⛅ 70 °F

    Dakar is the capital of Senegal, in West Africa. It’s an Atlantic port on the Cap-Vert peninsula. Its traditional Médina quarter is home to the Grande Mosquée, marked by a towering minaret. The Musée Théodore Monod displays cultural artifacts including clothing, drums, carvings and tools. The city’s vibrant nightlife is inspired by the local mbalax music. Dakar metropolitan area was estimated at 3.9 million in 2023.
    Today we did the Viking included tour: Explore the colonial history of Dakar. Travel comfortably by motor coach past some of the city's most important sights, monuments and colonial buildings. See the impressive City Hall, featuring French colonial architecture in a Victorian structure. Surrounded by beautiful green gardens, it offers views over Dakar's bay and sports the elegant facade of the 1885 train station, the first built in West Africa. Continue past the Presidential Palace, the residence of the Senegalese head of state and one of the country's great architectural icons. Follow the Corniche, Dakar's ocean road, cut into the cliff around Cape Manuel. Admire the Monument of the African Renaissance, which was unveiled in 2010 to commemorate Senegal's 50 years of independence from France. The bronze statue towers against the skyline at 164 feet high-taller than the Statue of Liberty. After, browse the items on display at a local craft village before returning to your ship.
    It was a nice day and we took in the city sites.
    The dirt, the grime, the rubble really defines these cities with poor sanitation due to lack of water and infrastructure.
    After returning to the ship and having a late lunch in World Cafe, Myron went to the pool and Diana and Vicki visited the craft market set up by the ship. It had many wares of handmade items.
    We attended church at 6:00 and then grabbed a quick bite.
    The highlight of the evening was Myron and the Viking Guest Choir getting to perform a few songs from the musical South Pacific. The Viking singers along with Aveen and Michael presented a show of No Business Like Show Business.
    A great performance. We ended the evening with Bill and Heidi at the living room bar.
    Meer informatie