Satellite
  • Day 3

    Mural Mile

    May 11, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Question 6
    “What are you hoping to learn about yourself as a leader on this trip?”
    When I left for Philadelphia my hope was to learn more about how to enhance the leadership areas I excel in and how to strengthen those areas that I am weaker in. Each service experience was different and I took away some insight from each one. I also learned things about myself and my team.
    However, it was during my field experience that it hit me. I was amazed by the mile of murals walk that we went on. So many important statements were made through the artwork. It was a mosaic painting that captured my attention and made a connection with me as a leader.
    The mosaic was made up of several picture tiles which were created from hundreds of pixels. Up close the details of the pixels were prominent. However, at a distance it was the ‘Big Picture’ the tiles of pixels came together to create that was in focus. That is how I see successful leadership. I am just one tile of pixels --- different strengths, talents, and ideas. As a successful leader I would surround myself with people made up of different strengths and talents that work together to create one unified vision. Some of those tiles will contain pixels that will challenge me, encourage me, and help me to enhance my leadership areas.
    What I learned is that in terms of murals and artwork, leadership can never be advanced through a self-portrait, something similar to a mosaic is much more productive.
    Read more