Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 80

    Stormy Weather

    February 16, 2016 in Brazil ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    First point of call this morning is the Fort and with this being such a beautiful place I expect it to be impressive, instead there are a few cannons strewn at the top of the hill . There is an option to walk down , with a warning sign "beware of the oyters" ? so we head down the hill and the views of the bay are really pretty , we cant walk around the bay so a small walk back to the top and we follow the road down to the beach. We have been told the beach isn't very nice so when we arrive we think we are in the wrong place . There are a few shells scattering the shore but there are no beach venders trying to out shout each other(one in Rio actually had a megaphone) and there are just a handful of people.
    We get chatting to a couple from Italy who got married at xmas after 20 years together and are here to renew there vows as they only had a 10 minute registry office wedding. The sad part is her mother of 90 has taken ill and it looks like they will have to head home before the ceremony on Sat .
    We spend quite a few hours on the beach, which i love , (they haven't been to Rhyl or Blackpool if they think this is a bad beach) and grabbing a bite to eat before taking a swim in the really warm water .
    Arriving back to the hostel we decide to try and plan our journey out of here. This is one of the main places people come affter carnival but now everyone is trying to get out of here at the same time . The buses are fully booked till Thurs (today is Monday ) so we book on the 23.30 bus and head back to the hostel as the sky has sussenly turned very grey.
    Keen to watch the storm we head to the upstairs balcony and watch as the thunder and lightning fill the sky. It starts to rain , and within minutes is terrential, the rain floods the street outside within minutes and before long is also pouring tthroug the roof of the hostel . We all take our place on the balcony watching the comical siights below us aa people attemptbto get through the "puddle" which is knee deep within half an hour . Flip flops and bumpers are now floating about and in the said puddle and this continues for nearly 2 hours, the fork lightning illuminating the sky purple. Nearly as soon as the rain has stopped the puddle disappears leaving the street as if nothing has happened, but its entertained us for a few hours at least.
    Read more