Satellite
  • Day 100

    Beautiful Bergen

    June 29, 2022 in Norway ⋅ ☀️ 63 °F

    Miles: 9.2 Steps: 21338
    Flights stairs: 28

    The weather gods have smiled on us in Bergen. The original forecast was for 5 days of straight rain, and instead we’ve had nothing but blue sky for the last 24 hours, with 24 more hours expected. Bergen is the rainiest city in all of Europe, so I’m considering us VERY fortunate. So we packed today and tomorrow with everything that needed a good view or a lot of time outside.

    Bergen is surrounded by and sits below seven mountains. We started the day riding a funicular up to the top of one of them, Mt Fløyen. Beautiful start. We found a mountain lake where you could take canoes out for free, so we did! Jordan’s kayaked but never been in a canoe so that was a first.

    We headed down and then across town to find the cable car to take us up a second mountain, Mt Ulriken, the highest of the seven mountains. 643 meters. It was a huge adventure just finding the entrance - must have walked around at least an hour trying to find it. But we did and It. Was. Beautiful. Amazing view. We could see all the fjords surrounding the town (a fjord is a long, narrow, deep inlet of the sea between high cliffs - different than a sound which is just a body of water connected to a larger body). The only other place I’ve seen fjords was our Alaska trip 7 yrs ago)

    We decided to hike back down instead of taking the cable car. It was 1331 VERY steep steps - all in all about a 5 km walk down. Watching people hike up it was very inspiring.

    By the time we got home our legs were so tired, (we walked a LONG ways today) but it was so fun and so beautiful of a day. Made ourselves dinner and enjoyed the midnight sun again before bed. It was a great way to spend day 100 of this trip!!
    Read more