Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Ultimo Giorno a Roma

    May 9, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Our last day in Rome so we crammed in a tour of Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palantine Hill in the morning. Walked off last night's pasta. Roman history is fascinating (although I think the kids on our tour would disagree after 3 hours of it).
    Got lost again. Bought some leather bags. I know - you will all be shocked to hear that!
    Finally learnt how to use the crosswalks. Find a local and ghost them. If they run - you run.
    Went to a small underground archaelogical dig, where they have uncovered a house from the 1st century. Best kept secret in Rome - we had the place to ourselves.
    Finished with an evening catacomb tour. Unfortunately you can't take photos. The Capuchin Crypt is where the skeletal remains of 3,700 friars are stored. Not just stored - but used to make art work on the wall, a light fitting, some pretty decorations on the ceiling. If you were lucky you were left mumified and on display in one piece, rather than becoming part of a chandeliar. Catacomb Priscilla is where the local Christians were buried in the 2nd - 4th centuries and has the oldest known painting of Mary and Jesus. Tiny weeny, not much bigger than a postage stamp but interesting nonetheless.
    Still can't get over turning a corner and seeing ancient ruins.
    And so we say a sad goodbye to Rome. Our feet will never be the same.
    Sorrento here we come!
    Read more