Satellite
  • Day 10

    Testing Waterproof Jackets - Positano

    May 15, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Woke up in Positano to a morning rain shower, but we wouldn’t let that deter us. Headed up the hill in our waterproof jackets to catch the bus to Amalfi. Halfway up the hill the heavens really opened. There was rain of biblical portions. The streets turned into a river. Cars were going by splashing us with water. You know how funny that is on tv, well it is not funny in real life. Our shoes, jeans, backpacks, face, in fact everything outside of the waterproof jacket was saturated. So A+ for the jacket.
    Went back to the room to change and regroup. Bought some umbrellas. Decided this time to try heading down the hill to the ferry to Amalfi. Much easier. Amalfi looked very pretty coming in from the ocean as you get a great view of all the homes and hotels up the hill.
    Caught the bus to Ravello, which is a lovely little town but very cold today. Not as touristy as others on the coast. Were going to do the 1,700 stair Ravello climb but as luck would have it the climb is to Ravello, not from Ravello, so we got to do the downhill version. Halfway down got lost, like we always do, so took the main road which winds around all the Amalfi Coast towns. Surprisingly we only passed two others walking this route, but were passed by many other tourists whizzing past in their coaches. There is no footpath, so we were on the road with all the cars and buses, squashed up against the wall as the buses screamed past. Or maybe that screaming was me.
    Graham did ask if I had seen a no pedestrian sign before we headed off. How would I know?
    Anyway we survived to tell the tale and eventually arrived in Amalfi just as it started to rain again. Celebrated making it alive by having gelato in the main town. There were four gelato stores directly opposite the one we were at. How do they all survive? There must be whole dynasties built around the gelato industry. Caught the ferry back to Positano in rough seas; one of my favourite activities – NOT.
    So now the rain has set in for the evening so we will have to sit in this restaurant overlooking the ocean drinking vino.
    Read more