Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 159

    Airlie to Yeppoon

    October 21, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    On our way south from Airlie our first place of interest was Sarina, in order to tour the sugar refinery. It was a very interesting process and fascinating tour. All the byproducts are used along the way. Some for growing new sugar cane then mulch, ethanol and methanol, molasses and finally the sugar. At Sarina they were a self sustaining mill so used the ethanol to run their furnaces. Well I should have written this down at the time because now we’re not sure…… but something like this. At the mill they also make alcohol and other sugar products. A real paddock to plate experience.
    We then continued a little further down the road to Carmila beach which was an off grid camping area and very unspoilt. A couple of beach walks, fresh air and peace and quite were the highlights here.
    The next morning we drove about 30 mins north and into the hills beyond Yeppoon. Again another off grid camp, this time in a lovely tropical garden/paddock. We played Bocce, lit a campfire and again enjoyed the serenity.
    Yeppoon is also a lovely place, not terribly built up and very relaxed. The caravan park was right on the beach, so daily beach walks were a feature. This was a working stop over for Jamie, and I completed the final 2 days of my online course. It was hot and muggy and rained on and off.
    Read more