Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Oure Tera Lodge, Isle of Pines

    May 2, 2018 in New Caledonia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    So we ditched the dodgy digs, and relocated here ... Chalk n cheese. Have an amazing bungalow that opens on to the beach. We spent the morning snorkeling the reef just outside our door. Divine coral, tropical fish aplenty. Cute wrasse, parrot fish, angels, gourami, ribbon fish, and dozens of others I don't know the names of. Then we lazed and read our books... Wonderful to do that, neither of us have time any more to read, so it was divine!

    The tide went far out, exposing a rock shelf which we walked after putting on our reef shoes, as the rocks were sharp. Here we saw rock pools, left by the receding tide, full of life. They were perfect marine tanks, coral, fish, crustaceans, sea slugs. Very beautiful. There were very unusual crustaceans that looked like fossil trilobites, but living, clamped to the rocks. We walked maybe 750 meters along the rocks shelf (pics to follow) before we decided we'd better turn back before the tide turned, and we were stranded.

    We then jumped into the cold, but refreshing piscine (swimming pool).

    Now, it is time for a Number One - the local brew... Very nice.
    Read more