Satellitt
Vis på kartet
  • Dag 7

    Carrefour - the supermarket experience

    7. juni 2018, Kina ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    This morning was a little more leisurely... Wien drove us to the supermarket for some supplies, and a bit of a look see. I live going to supermarkets overseas, and this one sure did not disappoint. It was huge, on two floors.

    The fruit and veg section was pretty standard, as far as they go, except for the fresh (read super stinky) durians, and lots of veges I had never seen before, for which there was no translation.

    Next was the seafood aisle - mostly still swimming in tanks, fresh as you can get! The Hairy Crabs, tied up in red and white twine, were about the size of an apricot. To my mind, they'd be a lot of work for not much gain. Clinton says they're really muddy in flavour.

    Soy sauce has its own aisle, there are so many varieties, and rice comes in open tubs that you select and weigh - all different types.

    Alcohol is available in the main part of the store, beer of all varieties, and is pretty cheap. Tsingtao is the local brew, three 750ml bottles for ¥9.90 or $A2.05. Then there was the Chateau Lafitte Rothschild, for ¥11000 (about $2250). Sure, why not.

    Kerry and I had a laugh in the condom aisle - you could actually get denim colored ones (triple denim, anyone?).

    We actually even found Pooh Bear and Mickey Mouse shaped dumplings. You just couldn't get this stuff at home...

    Anyway, an intetesting experience, we stocked up, and we were picked up by Wien and headed home.
    Les mer