Satellite
  • Day 12

    Amalfi

    May 19, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Today we arrived in Sorrento,and dropped our bags off at our hotel. We were early,so we planned to catch a bus to Amalfi through Positano. What a wonderful, if perilous drive that was!

    This is the lemon capital of Italy,and every inch of space on the side of volcanic cliffs are filled with either limpet-like buildings clinging to the sides, or lemon tree groves.

    The skill of the bus driver was impressive,as the roads are incredibly narrow and winding. Cars squeeze past and motor scooters zip by.

    Amalfi is only 26 km from Sorrento, but it takes an hour and a half to get there! Once arriving, we had a great day wandering with the thousands of other tourists in town, it was Sunday after all.

    In the late afternoon, footsore and weary, having walked 25000 steps (again), we boarded the bus back home. We got to our room,in the base of an old light-house “Il Faro”, and found it had a balcony inset into the volcanic rock that was the cliff face. Showered and changed, we headed out for dinner, and found a delightful little restaurant. Salt and pepper shrimp, cooked and eaten whole - so fresh and tender. Paul took a big risk and ordered lasagna, safe today, it was not as good as mine, but it was worthy. I had a lovely piece of sea schnapper gratinato - topped with lovely crunchy breadcrumbs, and roasted baby potatoes. Yum! Paul was given a “man-sized” beer - looked like a litre and a half, and I drank a whole bottle of wine. We finished off with ice cold limoncello,of course. Suffice to say, it’s lucky we were close to our hotel, because I cannot remember getting there! Haha!
    Read more