Satellite
  • Day 18

    Chasing Volcanoes!

    May 25, 2019 in Italy ⋅ 🌙 14 °C

    This afternoon, we had a bit of a hike up mountains, which proved more difficult than it should have...our GPS decided to ditch the fast strand as, and take us on tiny back roads...anyone who follows us regularly know this seems to be a bit of a habit! Anyway, by late afternoon, we found ourselves at the base of Mount Etna, but unfortunately, our diversions meant it was too late to head up on the cable car. Possibly just as well, as it remains snow-capped, and it was cloud bound.

    It is a very interesting area though, as there are lava fields surrounding the place! We spent a little while here, walking through the volcanic rock, that crunched underfoot. Etna is a very active volcano, with the last eruption in February, followed by an 4.9 earthquake. There was rain today, and all the cars were covered in dirt, likely as a result of dirt spewed by steam from the volcano.

    Leaving Etna, we had a quick 50km drive to Messina - we figured we had better look at the home of the Gelato, but sadly we were disappointed. This is a very large city, a port, and nothing quaint about it. Couldn’t even find the Nirvana of gelato here...haha.

    Across the straits, we could see Calabria, on the toe of Italy’s boot. Another big, but famous city.

    We then headed back towards Taormina. This is a hill-top town, with a Greco-Roman theatre that is still in use. Our hotel is below the cliff set on a tiny private beach, of volcanic sand. The view from our room, sensational, and the sound of the lapping waves through the French doors will lull us both to sleep very well. We are just about to head to dinner, and I am sure we will sleep very well! Tomorrow, we catch the cable care up to the town proper and explore!
    Read more