Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Temple of Hephaestus

    May 29, 2019 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    From wandering the Acropolis, we entered the lower grounds heading to the Temple of Hephaestus. This building was where a 500 strong council gathered to meet. Outside, a sculpture of Emperor Hadrian sat, in full regalia.

    Helen and I climbed what the boy’s affectionately named Backpacker’s Rock, but was actually called Areopagus Hill. This huge rock was where the Apostle Paul apparently delivered a sermon when he came to Athens. It’s quite a treacherous climb due to the granite being worn smooth from the millions of people who have climbed it over the Millennia.

    We then moved to a little church, dated 1000 AD, John took a thinking pose, before entering to light a candle to ensure our safe travels (at least, that’s what we think he was doing...)

    From there, we found a stunning spot for a beer break, and downed a few pints, as the day was warm, and we were getting a bit weary. Lots of laughs were had. Refreshed, off we went, wandering through the Plaka area, of restaurants, stall and shops. There was a stunning little sweet shop that took the fancy of Helen and I...

    After 18000 steps, we headed back to our apartment, to shower and ready to hunt and gather for dinner, and by that, I mean find a great restaurant.

    We had sent our scout Paul ahead, and he managed to find “Smile - the Family Restaurant”. We were sceptical, but we were tired and very hungry. What a gem, Paul redeemed his notorious restaurant seeking skills. We ordered the mixed grill (“for two”) with grilled kalamari, and grilled whole sea bream, and Greek salads. Suffice to say, we were absolutely stuffed and the food was amazing. We finished off with a dessert of Greek Yoghurt, with chocolate and mint (think Arnott mint slice biscuit, though John suggested toothpaste was closer haha). We explained the art of a flat white (and they succeeded well, and in return, they convinced us to try Metaxa, a Greek brandy, somewhat reminiscent of cough syrup! We laughed and then meandered around the corner to our apartment, and collapsed in to bed.
    Read more