Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Salta

    April 30, 2023 in Argentina ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    A long travel day and night bus from Encarnacion, northwest across Argentina to Salta. Arrived early so dropped my bag at the hostel and wandered for awhile.

    It’s a nice city but to be honest I found it kinda boring! Walked up Cerro San Bernardo, a 45 minute walk to a viewpoint over the city. Then chilled at a cafe on the street for awhile. There was an annoying plane flying over the city the whole day with a loudspeaker repeating some kind of ad over and over again 😂. Then I went to a museum where they have some mummies of some kids sacrificed by the Incas and buried way up super high in the Andes in this area. Very spooky and bizarre, you can really see all the clothes and skin and stuff still there. They had cool info about the Incas and the history of the area aswell, with lots of artifices. Next I zipped into another museum which told the story of Martin Manuel Güemes, who led the local army of gauchos (cowboys) in fighting against the Spanish. It was kind of a fun museum with lots of videos telling the story.

    Then lay by the pool in the hostel and chilled for the evening.

    Next day was a holiday so everything was closed! Tried to take a bus out to a forest to walk in, but the bus never came. Tried to get money out but impossible. Pretty much did nothing! A bit annoying.. then met Violette for dinner, who I met in Puerto Natales and happens to be here at the same time.

    All in all Salta is okay, quite pretty and clean but not that exciting for me to be honest, especially when everything is closed! Next morning finally got some money and found a bus north to the village of Purmamarca.
    Read more