Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Back to the mainland

    July 22, 2021 in France ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    The tides are moving steadily from neaps to springs and we have less and less water under our keel at every low tide. We saw two boats ground and go over on their sides at low water. The weather forecast isn’t good for the coming days and we have run out of fresh food. All good things must come to an end and so we leave the îles de Glenans.
    It’s another hot day as we make our way to Concarneau. We put up sails and turn off the engine travelling at about 3 knots. A good speed for fishing and we catch two mackerel. Try and we might for two more to feed the other half of the family, none bite.
    As we arrive into Concarneau we are met by the marina rib who tell us they are full up and that we will have to go elsewhere. By now we are uncomfortably hot and aware that bad weather is due tomorrow. Over the noise of both our engines, the marina man shouts a few suggestions of marinas we could try across the bay. Over the next hour and a half we motor across the bay and try on and off to make radio contact with the marina in Port-la-Forêt where we are headed. We hear other boats making contact and booking and we finally succeed about 15 minutes- ah they have a spot for us. The marina is huge and a rib escorts us all the way into our berth - one boat down from Arkea Paprec, a Vendée Globe participant. The team is working on her when we arrive and she gets a steady stream of fans taking photos of her. There are several other amazing racing boats in the Marina and Ruby takes a real shine to a Trimaran.
    Read more